Tuesday 16 December 2014

Flipping Fantastic (flip book Stuff)

Task 3
Flipping Fantastic
A little history and information


A flip book is a collection of combined linear images intended to be flipped over to give an illusion of movement. This animated sequence is bound together in the form of a small book. The images vary gradually from one to another, so when flipped rapidly show a story in motion.  The first flip book was released in 1868 as a kinegraph by John Barnes Linnett , literally meaning ‘moving picture’. Fashionable in the 19th century between the invention of photography and the first public show the ‘Lumiere cinematograph’ in December 1895. Scientists at the time were inspired by the notion of movement created by successive pictures and went on to create several optical illusion toys.

How to create flip book
When make a flip book it is important to have the camera set up on continuous shoot mode, so that you can capture every movement carried out but your chosen moving subject. It is also necessary to have the camera mounted on a tripod with the lens pointing in the same direction though out the encounter. This will make for a smooth progression of the objects movement, as it will appear to be moving in the frame. The best starter size for a first time flip book is around 48 frames (more or less if fine). Try to construct how you want the scene to play out in your head to give you a rough idea of how to capture the movement. If the subject is a static object it is best to shoot in manual mode. When taking the pictures for your flip book using a trigger release will come in handy as this will avoid unnecessary camera shake. When directing an object like a puppet make sure to make the object move in a robotic fashion, so that when sped up you get a smooth natural motion. When binding a flip book it is important to get the paper you are fastening together the same size. The image should appear on the right, with the binding (rubber band) on the left. Now all you need to do is flick away.

 Inspiration



My idea mind map


Stop motion and how it inspired me

Ever since I was a kid I have always loved stop motion animations. My first encounter with the media was though morph on the show art attack. Watching to clay figure move on its own was like some form of magic trick. So, for these flip book projects I have decided to create a stop motion baste animation, which will come to life as the viewer flips thought the story. The definition of stop motion is to make a static object appear as if it is moving on its own. This puppet based animation is stull used to day to create movies like Wallace and Gromit.  After brain storming it out my ideas, I decided to go with the ideas of creation a figure in play do (like morph) and the peeling of an orange. The things I will have to make sure of are to set up the camera on a tripod, with the camera constantly pointing in the same direction thought out the entire shoot. The action will have to be performed slowly to give the illusion that the objects in the frame are moving of their own free will. I can tell it will be hard to do but I am looking forward to the experience. 

Evaluation of my flip books

The first flip book I put together was of a bike passing me. The book is made up using 53 frames and was the smallest of the tree books I did. The motion captured in this book is very smooth when flicked fast. My other two flick book are based on stop motion and in the end ended up being considerably larger that my first. Being larger made the binding proses extremely hard and I found that this affected the way the book was flicked. Smaller books are more effective, as my bigger ones make it hard to fully see the movement. Stop motion is hard and I found that my flicker book did not possess as smooth a motion as the smaller one I created. I really like stop motion and would like to take it further if I ever got the opportunity in the future to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment