Sunday 12 October 2014

Analysis of Green Duo-tone Image

Analysis of my Green Duo-tone Image

Original
Grayscale and Duo-tone 

Cropped


Out of all my duo-tone images I've done so far for this project this one is my favourite. This image is from the Saltiare shoot I did with my class. In truth when I first chose to duo-tone this image it was simply because it was green. When I reflect on this now there are different elements that drew me to this image. After all, this project has made me realise that colour and light can be used to subconsciously affect our choices. An example of this in nature is bees. Bees are a variety of black, yellow and orange all are warning colours to deter predators. The original image is sharp and the natural light within the image is well balanced drawing the eye from right to left. In taking the photo I used a higher contrast, vividness (or saturation) and sharpness in manual mode to really bring out the colour of the door. I wanted to make the colour pop out and really grab my attention. The geometric shapes in the image create a stable and strong illusion. The door looks like it cannot be open and therefore provides safety. To me this is emphasized by the lack of door handle. In my opinion this shade of green is a very warm colour creating a relaxing and safe mood. To me it gives the feeling of security. It’s inviting and full of life which is perhaps why I was drawn to this door in the first place. I then took this image and in Photoshop converted it to grayscale.  After, I adjusted the levels of shadow to add more depth to the image and increase the contrast to pull the high lights forward, making them stand out more adding more depth to the overall image. Adding the duo-tone completely changed the mood of this image, which I only realised on reflection. The tone or shade of green I used now creates a very cold organic vibe. I get the feeling of isolation and solitude, almost like the door is to keep others out. The image has become quiet and calm of all movement, almost like time is standing still. For the composition of the original image it was more instinctive than planned, it just looked right. When cropping the image though I did think about what I wanted people to look at and where I wanted their eyes to go. I chose this composition because the geometric parallel lines lead you left off the image. Unconsciously I’m leading you to look at the letter box and up so you are focusing on the number three. The fact that the image isn’t at a right angel helps this eye movement as the image pivots up to illuminate the three. The increase contrast (shadows) helps to soften the image and the light creates a smooth surface to the door adding to the idea of it being cold. When I look at this photo now I wonder what happened behind door number three. The door has such an allure to it, it’s almost intimating like in a horror film when you have to go through the creepy door.
I really enjoyed the process of applying duo-tone to an image and found it easy to use. I've learnt that the colour and composition of my images can really change the meaning of them, so I should think more about how I can use this to convey a feeling or a mood in future projects. That been said this process may not work for all of my images so I think I need to experiment more to further my development as a photographer.   




No comments:

Post a Comment